Apply for a job
Product development and innovation brewer
Purpose: The Product Development and Innovation Brewer is responsible for the development and management of all R&D projects, from ideation to brand creation and marketing, providing Tap Room specialties and supporting barrel-aged beer operations. They will collaborate with all other departments of the brewery to develop an innovative and competitive portfolio for distribution and within the Tap Room.
- A passion and skill for innovation (particularly in the IPA space) and an impetus on the trajectory of the industry.
- A solid understanding of the complete brewing process.
- Manages all aspects of pilot brewery programming, operations, administrative/ERP responsibilities and staff training on new beers, etc.
- Ability to work in both manual and automated brewing process.
- Strong ability to communicate and organize efforts with other departments (production, sales, marketing and tap room) to facilitate new product development and manage the marketing of new Avery products.
- Ability to support industry events related to R&D projects, new commercial products and barrel aged brands.
- Organizes and manages new product marketing needs.
- Participates in staff and customer education, social media inquiries and S&M engagements as requested.
- Industry knowledge to identify and evaluate new raw materials for future brands.
- Experience with CIP, CO2 and dissolved O2 readings, relevant to packaging quality, bright beer tanks and fermentation tanks.
- Represents product development and assigned production KPIs during weekly production meetings.
- Execute product requests for new market releases based on the annual brand calendar created by Sales and Marketing.
- Support the development of new brands for contract customers as directed by the Production Manager.
- Properly report and record production figures and daily yields.
- Manage the research and development group to facilitate timely product development of future brands.
- Executes market research and reports brand ideas to the research and development group with a medium and long term strategic approach.
- Regularly work with Sales and Marketing Managers on new product development and training team members on new and existing products.
- Ensure that Wood Cellar equipment is properly cleaned, maintained and stored.
- Assist in forecasting labor requirements while optimizing barreling/clearing opportunities.
- Monitor the status and progress of experimental and barrel-aged beers in the brewhouse, cellar, and possibly in barrels or packaging.
- Communicate effectively with other departments on a daily basis.
- Ensure BAC area and warehouse are kept clean, orderly and meet Avery Brewing Co. MSS and GBP objectives.
- Forklift on a regular basis of empty barrels, full barrels, raw materials, and proper stacking and storage of barrels in the barrel aging warehouse.
- Load and unload trucks, including communicating with and providing documents to truck drivers.
- Daily participation in the sensory analysis of products in the sensory laboratory as well as at the outlet of packaging lines.
- Ongoing training with our sensory lab on unwanted flavors and desired characteristics in barrel-aged beers.
- Regular tasting of in-process and daily barrels, including recording of pH and gravity.
- Participate in monthly innovation and product strategy forums.
- Participate in regular dining room beer quality tastings and inform the TR Beer Manager of products that do not represent Avery’s Beer First philosophy.
- Facilitates Avery Tap Room brand education of commercial brands and R&D.
- Manages all steps and cross-departmental inputs relevant to beer brand marketing.
- Manages Avery beer brand launch schedule with direct support from Sales and Marketing Managers.
- Manages BOMs for all new brands to ensure production will stay within targeted BOMs for sales category.
- Additional roles and responsibilities may be added at any time.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in commercial brewing operations.
- Understanding of the brewing process from ideation to shipping.
- Trainable on new processes and able to train others.
- Organisational skills.
- Cleanliness and concern for quality assurance are essential.
- Leadership and ability to manage teams.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Excellent interdepartmental communication skills.
- Creative and motivated to experiment with new ingredients and new beers.
- Resourceful and driven to improve processes and brands.
- A desire to learn, experiment and help drive Avery’s thoughtful innovation.
- Execute brand ideation and development in concert with Avery’s future brand launch schedule.
- Attention to detail is paramount.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. several times during the duration of a shift.
- Ability to handle and store empty drums weighing approximately 100 lbs.
- Ability to work a flexible daily work schedule which means accomplishing a wide variety of goals and activities within an 8 hour shift.
- Experience with O’Beer and proven ability to quickly learn new O’Beer tasks as they are assigned.
- BS in science, brewing arts, or further education in a brewing-related field
- Regular exposure to barreling/decanning processes
- Experience with manual tank cleaning and general CIP operations
- Certified forklift and experience in moving barrels
- Active in sensory training
- Experience (and comfortable with) making decisions to destroy beer that does not meet our QA standard
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential functions.
$50,000 to $70,000 depending on experience. Benefits include a 3% match for 401(k) contributions, 50% medical and dental insurance, and 100% premium coverage after 18 months of service. Paid holidays and paid holidays from the company. Avery Brewing Co. is a family owned business with perks and benefits not listed here including but not limited to an RTD Eco Pass, pro-deal discounts and very generous beer and food benefits .
Apply for a job